A very inspiring story about a Diabetic Ballerina, a book review

Full disclosure - I did not buy this book, the publisher sent it over to me to review.

And I am glad that I did get my hands on this great book. What an inspiring story. Zippora gets Type 1 diabetes early in her life when she is training to be a ballerina. This was a time when knowledge about the disease and its cures are very primitive and she goes through an odd assortment of cures before she settles into the one that works for her. All this while she is growing through the ranks of a great ballerina. What an achievement.

Reading the book was inspiration in lots of ways. Reminded me of the struggles as I was discovering what it means to be a diabetic and how to change my life. She brings out the angst of trying to balance food, exercise and LIFE at the same time. Amazing, but true.

Also lots of insights into the life of a ballerina. I had no idea of how complex this dance form is. It was fortunate that my 5 year old started taking ballet lessons at the same time too. I actually knew some of the terms that were being used :-)

This is a great book to read. It is light reading and leaves you feeling great at the end.
Thank you Zippora for sharing your life with us.

Comments

Popular

Fenugreek seeds helping keep sugars in check

Nyquil got to my diabetes