Most focus on treatment, not much on prevention

Not sure if others see this, but I find it ridiculous on how much focus and money is spent towards getting a cure for diabetes. I am a Typ2 diabetic, so I know that a cure would benefit me, but I cannot feel smug about it. I rarely see any company/government taking steps to find a cause for the rise in Type 2 diabetes in the world.

It is very frustrating to see this situation. I blame the way the pharmaceutical companies have developed. It is a by product of capitalism I guess. Research is done and financed by individuals, or corporations. They need to make money. No one makes money if we can stop the spread of the disease. So all the money goes into finding medications to fight it. If it is something that you will have to keep taking for the rest of your life, it is perfect. What better than creating a product which you will need for ever.

Some governments sponsor research into the cause etc of the disease, but these are mostly academic stuff. Who is going to bother to take this data and do something about it, because even that requires money.

I feel like there might be a silver lining somewhere in the future. If the epidemic is large enough to start affecting the economies of other corporations, insurance groups etc, then they might push for clearing the reason. Similar to eradicating small pox.

Comments

Popular

Fenugreek seeds helping keep sugars in check

Nyquil got to my diabetes